Posting expires: 5/8/2022
Salary commensurate with experience
This is a technical, hands‐on position which is responsible for the administration of the Agency’s Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) and related systems delivering quality and innovative technology solutions and guaranteeing the continued, reliable operation of networks as well as hardware and software systems that operate at the primary and backup locations. This position applies proven communication, analytical and problem-solving skills to identify, communicate and resolve system issues in order to maximize the user’s availability and ability to utilize all system functionality. The position works with a high degree of initiative and independence under broad program guidelines and general supervision of the Communications IT Manager, Senior to ensure that performance and operational goals are met. A core responsibility is acting as the liaison between customers, internal and external, to coordinating activities between the Communications department, the City’s Information Technology Department, Public Safety departments and outside vendors to ensure the integration of technology systems and enterprise applications.
Duties may include, but are not limited to: SQL database management, reporting and analysis of data, management of peripheral systems such as Mobile Data Computers (MDC), records management systems (RMS) and GIS Map Data ; end‐user account maintenance, system changes, updates, corrections and coordination of computer server hardware and software; including installation, maintenance and administration. manages, organizes, protects, documents, and maintains security system documentation, provides technical support to system end‐users.
All successful candidates must undergo an intensive background check and be able to work any shirt to support a 24X7 critical public safety operation.
- The candidate will be under the supervision of the Technology Manager, and dual report to the CIO and E911 Director.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Installs, maintains and updates related hardware and software equipment for the City’s Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD), Records Management System (RMS) and Mobile Field Reporting applications, automatic vehicle locator (AVL), and Geographical Information Systems (GIS) applications.
- Provides advanced end-user support including researching user complaints, researching issues,answering technical questions and assisting with application revisions or problems.
- Establishes and maintains cooperative working relationships (both internally and externally) andexercises good judgment while representing Atlanta 911 to external personnel and agencies.
- Manages multiple servers (physical and virtual), computers and devices ensuring proper integration of these components with existing computer, network and communications systems;
- Manages databases maintenance activities including data backup, data security, data recovery,implementation of business rules and triggers, Open Database Connectivity (ODBC) andperformance monitoring.
- Implements and audits system security policies against the Criminal JusticeInformation Systems security requirements, file permissions and user accounts;
- Provides support to network and/or stand-alone networks. Installs and configuresnew software; removes software; adds, changes or removes client accounts.
- Performs both routine and advanced system troubleshooting, support and maintenance.
- Update and maintain various system administrative files/tables
- Develop and distribute periodic system and management reports to identify system performance, tickets, repairs, and resolutions.
- Attend meetings and provide training as necessary to provide a high level of system effectiveness.
- Troubleshoots and corrects user & system problems. Identifies source of hardware orsoftware problems and takes appropriate corrective action.
- This position is considered “essential personnel” and will be required to report for work regardlessof weather conditions, during emergencies, and any shift hours.
- Respond to emergency calls for service (system problems/outages) during off‐duty hours.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and work well under time constraints.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Experience with project life cycle and project management principles.
- Experience producing and distributing both technical documentation and user-level documentation.
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Windows, Windows Server, Microsoft SQL Server , Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, Power Point, Project, Outlook), and Office 365.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related degree from an accredited institution, or equivalent experience considered.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience installing, maintaining, administrating and supporting computer hardware and operating systems software such as Windows, UNIX, LINUX, VMware, and Active Directory.
- Strong experience in database applications particularly Microsoft SQL
- Experience and understanding of the operational interworking of computer information systems and database management systems used to support complex n—tiered systems
Preferred Education and Experience
- Three or more years’ experience in the use and administration of Computer Aided Dispatch Systems (CAD), Records Management Systems (RMS) for Police, Fire and EMS, mobile computer applications, automatic vehicle locator (AVL), Mobile Audio Visual (MAV), body-worn cameras, and Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
- Three or more years’ experience with police, fire and EMS dispatching methodologies
- Previous work experience with IT duties in Public Safety Agencies and/or in a comparable Emergency Communications Environment is preferred but not required
- Cloud Provider Experience/Knowledge: Azure or AWS
Licensures and Certifications
- Valid Driver’s License from state of residency.
- PMP certification a plus
- ITIL certification a plus
- Technical certifications such as Microsoft, A+ or Network+ is a plus
- Candidates are required to obtain the following certifications within 1 year of hire date:
- GCIC Security and Integrity certification
- GCIC Inquiry level workbook certification
- Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
Essential Capabilities and Work Environment
- Must be able to occasionally lift 25 pounds from ground level (e.g., computer hardware).
- Must be able to hear, speak, see, sit, stand and interact with other staff.